LuxLive is both educational and entertaining, packed full of amazing interactive features, debates and hands-on demos alongside the biggest lighting exhibition and most ambitious programme of free-to-attend talks. Keep an eye on this website for updates and check-out some of our top picks for LuxLive 2014!
The Lux Arena
The best way to learn is when you’re enjoying yourself. That’s our belief, and that’s why like to explain lighting technology through demonstrations, discussions and debates. The Lux Arena is a stunning, 216 square metre theatre at the very heart of the show which will have a series of interactive content hosted by some of most engaging and informed personalities on the lighting beat, including tech experts and team Lux.
It’s a rolling programme, so whatever time you rock up to the Lux Arena, there’ll be something engaging and interactive that you’ll learn from.
Sessions will include:
- Live and dangerous! Extreme dimming with the Control Freak Live LED control guru Jeremy Turner of Fab Controls hosts a live workshop using good, bad and ugly kit from diverse manufacturers. In this hands-on session, Jeremy Turner and Lux technical editor Alan Tulla show what you need to do to ensure smooth LED control in the real world.
- Lighting Talk Live panel discussions LEDs in retail – hit or miss? Can LEDs stop the big streetlighting switch off? How can we tackle the NHS’s legacy lighting? If LEDs are so great, why won’t manufacturers give decent warranties? Just some of the questions our panel of grumpy, opinionated experts will tackle!
- Lux Cool Wall What’s seriously cool and what’s totally uncool? Leading product and lighting designers and manufacturers pass judgment on the stand-out luminaires made possible by LED and OLED designs, and discuss how to maximise the design possibilities of solid state technology to give specifiers new solutions to old problems.
- Lighting Spy We expose the worst excesses of lighting energy waste in the UK – by visiting new and existing projects and checking. But we don’t just criticise – our Lighting Spy team will propose alternatives which will save energy and improve the quality of the lighting.
- Named and Shamed Complementing the popular monthly feature in Lux magazine, our team looks at some of the UK’s worst lighting installations that we’ve featured over the year and asks: What on earth were they thinking?!
- Heroes and Villains Team Lux and friends name those who are pushing lighting forward (and those who should be on lighting’s naughty step), culminating in a vote for the greatest hero – and the worst villain.
- The Big Interview Everyone wants to hear the views of the most influential people in the lighting industry. Where’s it headed? We’ll get answers in these exclusive one-on-one interviews with audience participation.
- Product Demos You don’t learn that much about a product by the advertisements. Which is why we’ve compiled a list of the most interesting kit – and asked the manufacturers to come and tell us in person.
- Dragons’ Den In this ever-popular format based on the massively successful BBC television programme, entrepreneurs pitch their innovative lighting ideas to our panel of seasoned industry professionals.
Who’ll get the thumbs up, and who’ll be told to think again?
50 hours of free talks and debates
Don’t forget there’s no fewer than FIVE theatres, all with their own programme of events, talks and discussions:
· be inspired by the best low-energy projects in the EcoLight Arena
· get the low-down from leading lighting designers in the Design Clinic
· learn about funding with soft loans and tax breaks in the Financing Clinic
· Watch demos of exciting kit such as next generation LEDs
· A whole theatre of CPD session to top up your points
· Get the latest reg updates and keep your finger on the pulse in the Tech Theatre
All this and more – updates coming soon!
The Great British Light Off
This year will see the introduction of the Great British Light Off! Have you got what it takes to win?
Get together a team of four for a fun evening of technical challenges, creative lighting design, luminaire building and, err… Victoria sponges? More to be revealed soon …
More kit, more exhibitors, more big-brands
The LuxLive exhibition just keeps on getting bigger and better. This year there will be well over a 100 of the lighting world’s biggest names exhibiting, including Philips, Helvar, Holophane, Thorlux and Projection to name but a few.
Struggling for time? Worry not, LuxLive 2014 will have its door wide open until 9pm on the first day – Wednesday 19 November. So, there’s no excuse for not attending and, better still, plenty of reasons to attend! Exhibitors will be hosting drinks parties, the Great British Light Off will be kicking off and the programme of lively interactive sessions will continue to the bitter end. What’s not to love?